Memento Mori

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States
Professional Darling

Sunday, January 8, 2012

2012

I've been throwing around the idea of doing a wrap up of last year for the past couple of weeks now and I've decided against it. 2011 appears to have been a shitty year all around and the last thing I really want to do is relive it. I will say that the last half of the year was the set up for 2012 and if the trend continues this next year is going to be completely amazing.

Okay so this is actually turning into a retrospective.*le sigh* Perhaps I'll just focus on some of the good things that happened. This past year was interesting in terms of music. I started to branch out from my comfort/stereotype zone and started listening to something that wasn't goth/industrial/synthpop etc etc. This past year I made a very strange foray into the world of Pop/Top 40 by cultivating quite the interest in Christina Perri. It's been a while since I found a connection with a pop singer, but when I downloaded her album, Lovestrong after hearing the single, Jar of Hearts. Aside from a couple of songs, I really enjoyed the entire album and I felt like I could relate to the music and especially the lyrics. For anyone that hasn't checked her out, I highly recommend that you do.

I also took up quite the interest in Dubstep and other forms of electronic music. I'm still in my infancy stages of discovering different artists and genres but I'm really enjoying listening to the different forms and learning about the origins. I've taken some shit for "jumping on the bandwagon" so to speak, but oh well.

Another surprising discovery was T-Pain. I'm a self-professed hater of Rap, R&B and other genres like that so when I started listening to T-Pain's newest album I was kinda embarrassed but as continued I figured I had nothing to lose, after all, my crazy YouTube videos with the T-Pain microphone are floating around the Internet. I find some of the lyrics in this genre a little amusing to say the very least and think that a little more attention could be paid, but oh well. I honestly can't relate to the music on any sort of level, but I like the beats and makes me feel a little tougher. :P

I flirted with the idea of moving back to Vancouver this past year and even went so far as to get a second job to help save money faster for the move. It wasn't until I dissected my reasons for moving back and my motivation that I decided against it. I was sad to leave my second job because I really enjoyed it, but I couldn't keep working two jobs forever. Since I'm staying in Seattle for the foreseeable future I've decided to concentrate on my career more.

Work has been good to me, and last year was no exception. I received two promotions, two raises and just in these past couple of weeks found out that they are giving me even more responsibility. It's nice to feel valued and its nice to feel like your work is appreciated. I'm going to continue to work hard and to expand my skill set and experience to work my way even further up the ladder.

I was crowned Ms Gothic Seattle this past year and even though I think the title is a little cheesy, it has really helped me get back into the Goth scene and to get involved even more. My reign is up in April and I honestly will be a little sad to see it go but I know that if I continue to stay involved in Gothic Pride Seattle that it will almost be the same thing.

Without going into too many details, I will say that I broke down a lot of doors, barriers and inhibitions this past year. I threw the guilt of my lifestyle away and vowed never to let anyone tell me what I enjoy is wrong. This honestly strengthened my "faith" as an atheist and made me realize the implications and harm that social brainwashing can cause. I'm not completely to where I want to be as I continue to struggle with some things but I know that I will get there eventually.

Towards the end of last year was when the inertia of my life totally changed and someone incredible walked into my life. Very soon I'll be embarking on a very difficult but fulfilling journey and one that I have been waiting for what seems like forever for. A journey that I feel touches me deeper than the commitment of marriage and more beautiful than anything I've ever seen. Together, Him and me, we will destroy the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment