Memento Mori

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States
Professional Darling

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

30 Days in More than 30 - Topic #1 - Introduce Yourself



My name is Gennifer Holland, but I'm pretty sure that you've already gathered that. I'm a twenty-nine year old Canadian female that has been living in the United States - Seattle specifically - for the past 7 years. I'm from Vancouver BC originally, and I miss home. Home is the place that I used to know, but now it seems so far away. I don't get up to visit nearly as much as I'd like and instead find myself cultivating quite the life down here.
I still live in Seattle even after my marriage ended because of my job. I'm a legal secretary for the largest law firm in the Pacific Northwest. It's an amazing job and it has opened up so many doors to further my career. I've been given opportunities here in Seattle that I wouldn't have been able to receive back home with my lack of post-secondary education. My "job" - although at this point I believe is a career - is really important to me. It has gotten me out of a lifetime of foodservice and retail jobs and actually into something that I enjoy and can see myself moving forward in. There is even a part of me that contemplates going to college and then eventually on into law school. Then there is the other part of me that cannot see myself giving up my social life to go to school.
I was recently crowned Ms. Gothic Seattle 2011 and I have to say that although it is a cheesy title, I worked hard to get it and I'm going to work hard to get back into the first floor of the Goth Scene here in Seattle. I miss promoting, putting on events and DJing. I miss running around trying to get an event off the ground and then sitting back and watching it succeed.
**flashback moment**
Myself and DJ Casperella cramming all our DJ gear into a cab to get down to the skytrain so we can get downtown to "Lick" for our weekly gig called "Shift." The concept of Shift was to shift away from what we would normally do. Goth/Industrial/EBM. We mixed it up with a lot of rock and popular dance music at the time. The DJ booth at the club was up this huge ladder to the top of the ceiling. You couldn't wear your hair big back then because the booth was so small. The monitor's didn't work very well and I remember playing something that sounded just horrid on the floor. I want to say that my first experience of dead air happened at that club. Oh Lick with your 20 foot ceilings and faux French design. I miss it, I miss having my own night and rushing along Vancouver city streets in the rain and darkness to get to something that helped keep me alive.
**end moment**
I live to experience pleasure in almost everything I do and I live for those experiences that make my heart soar. To do those things that you know you will remember for the rest of your life. To live like there is no tomorrow and to be content with your life if you knew that today was your last.
I'm decadence and debauchery. I'm living sin, and sin living in me. I'm about doing everything I want to do and not looking back. Treating you with the respect that you deserve and hope that you'll return the favor. Of not living with regrets and taking each and every moment as it comes. Sometimes we have to do things that we are not proud of, but I refuse to feel guilty for things that I didn't destroy. Two to tango, two to fight, two to fuck. It's all relative.
I am exactly who I want to be at this point in my life. I'm lucky to know you, but you know what, you're lucky to know me as well.
I think I sufficiently introduced myself.
Love to you all.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your title! I had no idea! I'm so proud of you Gen. I love you! You're one sexy beast :)

    ReplyDelete